Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Book Review: The Fire Within


Book: The Fire Within by Chris D'Lacey
Published:
Rating: 3.5 stars out of 5
Pages: 340 (hardback)

Keep reading after the jump for the full review. 


Anything with dragons and I'm there. I'm not even joking. If I could have any animal it'd be a dragon, but because some people don't think they are real I'll go with a red panda or Chinese lesser panda as some like to call them.

This is another library book I picked up, which made my arm ache because I was holding so many. It wasn't what I was expecting, Refreshing and realistic, yes, even with dragons in it. Dragons are real. Don't make them cry.

What it's about: David, a poor college kid, rents out a bedroom at a single mother's house. The mother is a maker of clay dragons. David get's pulled into Lucy's (the daughter) tangles with an injured squirrel and gets coaxed into writing her a story about said squirrel. The clay dragon that Liz (the mother) made him inspires his story and helps him on through it all. Soon David begins to wonder if the clay dragons Liz make are really alive and soon he has to figure out whether he believes in dragons or not.

What I thought: a feel good book, right on. The names of the mother and her daughter were confusing, Liz and Lucy, I often had to skip back to figure out which one was talking. The characters were cut clear and it very much felt like you were David coming into a strange home and almost being adopted by this family. The main relationship is between David and Lucy. They have quite an adventure as they try to save the injured squirrel from the next door neighbor and a dangerous crow. 

The book wasn't too predictable, I'd say. It was surprising and so refreshing. There was a little bit of romance in it, but it was very realistically painted. The author is very good at using his words sparingly and keeps the book moving so you never get bored. It's a contemporary/fantasy novel. The first in the series, however I don't know if I'll read the whole series for it almost feels like a stand alone to me. But I'd definitely suggest this book for lighter reading, it'd be perfect for a day on the beach or on the back porch swing. Let me know your thoughts below about this book or any book for that matter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment