Friday, August 2, 2013

By the Lakeside

As I write this I am sitting in an old hotel on the second floor staring out my window at the parking lot. This weekend my family and I went on a little mini vacation. It's a few hours from where we live and right by the lake. It's a gated town that managed to keep itself out of the rest of the world. It's almost like you've stepped into a different world when you come through the gate. We've been coming here for as long as I remember, before we used to camp just a couple of miles away and would come in this old fashioned town for a few hours for some shopping. More recently we've been staying in town.

Outfit Details:
Polka Dot Dress: Kohl's
Shawl & Purse: Charlotte Russe (shawl was a shirt, shortened and cut straight down)
Necklace: Vintage
Earrings: Body Central

This is the first time I've been here since I've started my outfit journal. I've been anticipating the prospect of taking pictures in this cutesy town since we knew we were coming. But when I got here it wasn't the pictures I was taking that caught my eye, and I should have known better. Despite the hustle and tussle of those that arrive for a vacation, this town has a way of stopping the hours that normally can just flow by us. My love for nature, especially the waterside where climbing can take place, blossoms here. Everything else seems a little less important. 

There is no TV in the hotel rooms, not in the hotel we stay at. We are right at the lakefront and all around us are others that have come to get away. The water is a silvery-blue and small waves crash against the rocks at the edge-my favorite spot in this town. While I'm not one for laying on the beach, soaking in the sun-I leave that to my sisters who manage it much better than I-I do love the cool breeze of the lakeside and mad hush of the water. I take plenty of books, more than I could actually read, and sit out on my rocks as I dip my feet in the water, and yes they are my rocks. 

I doubt this year will be any different, I'll set away my trusted laptop and pop outside for a breath. The world that lives outside these walls will just melt away for a few minutes and I will almost disappear. But I'm romanticizing. Perhaps that is the magic of this place, it's romanticized, but rightly so. My advice to you, escape, even if for a moment. It does wonders to your health.

No comments:

Post a Comment