Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Book Review: The Treachery of Beautiful Things

 
Outfit Details:
Cardigan & Jeggings: Kohl's
Shirt: Forever21
Necklace: Made by me
Shoes: Macy's

Published: August 2012
Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Length: 363 pages

I spotted this book at Barnes and Noble and it was the title that first caught my attention. Almost immediately, I sought it out at my local library, adding it to the pile of books I've been meaning to read. It's the first book by Ruth Frances Long that I've read or even seen. But her writing and weaving of a faerie land into a beautiful story has made me a fan of her work.

The story is about Jenny whose brother, some seven years ago, was stolen into a forest by trees. She goes to the spot that claimed her brother to finally say goodbye and gets pulled into the magical forest herself. Whilst seeking to find the piper, who she believes must be her brother, encounters the deadly dangers of the forest and, of course, meets a handsome, mysterious young man.

I really like the beginning where the focus is on the sibling's relationship. Maybe it's because I'm so close with my family, but that, more than any enticing ofantasy, romance, or my love of all these forest-y could offer, is what led me to this book. The story is the kind that just fills me with inspiration and longing for lands and stories such as these. Ruth pulls together her words into an easy read, while managing the feel of sheer poetry.

Predictability? It's in the middle ground, but sincerely enjoyable. It gives you that feel good ending, while still giving you a few twists along the way. I won't give up any spoilers, but I definitely suggest giving this book a try if you like fantasy romances at all. I could hardly put it down, well I did, but just for a coffee break.

Tell me what you thought of the book; and if you having any reading suggests lay it out there in a comment.


No comments:

Post a Comment